5 Awesome Reasons You Should have a Bible Reading Plan
There are 5 awesome reasons why you should have a Bible reading plan. Whether you are reading through the Bible in a year or longer, it will be a blessing when you get into God’s Word on a daily basis.
God speaks to us through His Word and when you have a plan, you will be prepared when life throws its challenges your way.
That is why I am sharing these awesome reasons with you.
That does NOT mean that you must be reading through the Bible. You might be following the grace studies I share on my blog or a plan you have found on another blog.
Today, I am going to share a little about a Bible Reading Plan I found for this year and then I will share the reasons a plan will be a blessing to you.
It is a new year and a great time to rethink the time you have been spending in God’s Word. Maybe you have neglected that time because your children are little and it is such a challenge. I get that!
A few years ago, I had read through the Bible each year for a number of years. I needed to take a break from that discipline so that I could have the extra time to dig deeper into the Word of God.
This year, I decided to try reading through the Bible again. I don’t know if I will end up completing it this year but I will continue reading it until I do.
Discipleship Journal Bible Reading Plan
I am loving the Discipleship Journal Bible Reading Plan from the Nav Press.
- The first thing I did was to download and print the Discipleship Journal chart to keep track of my progress.
- The next thing I did was to download the Logos Bible Study and Reading Plans on my phone.
- Then I chose the Discipleship Journal Bible Reading Plan which is available inside the app.
There are many other reading plans available both in the Logos Bible as well as elsewhere.
Why I Love this Bible Reading Plan
I know that when you read the Bible through like this, you are reading it faster than when you slow down for a study. Both are important.
It isn’t easy to maintain this balance but I think it is important to try.
- This Bible reading plan only schedules 25 days of reading each month. That gives you a chance to catch up or study deeper on the other days. Maybe you could use those extra 5 days for memorizing.
- There are 4 different places that you read every day. Two are in the Old Testament and two in the New Testament. Two are longer section and two are shorter. So doable.
- The printable sheet has the reading selections for each day.
- Inside the app there is a chart to check off each day as you read the plan.
- Inside the app it scrolls through each day’s reading in one location. You don’t have to flip through your Bible to find it as you can read it right on your phone or tablet.
I know that when we do this we are reading the Bible fast and not understanding it as well. It is such a blessing to get a feeling for the whole Bible.
Most people give up reading the Bible through because they cannot keep up with reading it every single day.
What is the Purpose of Having a Bible Reading Plan?
The purpose is NOT to have the right method or plan to through the Bible to read your Bible each day. If you only read the Bible to check off a chart you are missing the point.
A Bible Reading Plan is to grow closer to God and to learn how to magnify Him through your life.
Why do we care about daily reading the Bible every day?
We want to make God look precious and valuable. To make God look like a treasure.
In our sin, there is so much in us that does not make God look magnificent.
We have to see Him for who He is and what He is like. We can’t cherish what we don’t know.
That is why it is good to get into God’s Word daily and get to know Him and savor Him better.
That can only happen through reading your Bible daily.
5 Awesome Reasons to Have a Bible Reading Plan
Remember that reading through the Bible is a great idea but may not be a fit for you this year. The important thing is to find a plan that will work for you this year and do it.
The purpose of having a Bible reading plan is so that you get to see and know the magnificence of God and savor His presence in your life.
When you don’t have a plan, you plan not to know Him better.
- To see Christ.
- Because we are stone cold towards God.
- Because we are blinded without Jesus.
- Because we are coasting along without Hope.
- Because we need to be God-entranced.
I love the beginnings of a new year because it gives me a chance to reflect, and choose One Word for the coming year and to improve my journey through life with the Lord’s help. That is what I have done in choosing a Bible reading plan for this coming year.
Maybe it is time to have a new Bible reading plan for the new year. What has worked for you in the past and what Bible reading plan will you use this year?