Who would have thought that there are real reasons why adult coloring is good for you?
Coloring is more than just a hobby that’s trending all over the blogosphere and capitalized on Amazon!
I have been writing about Bible journaling Art and for me that means coloring. Some of my friends prefer to paint in their Bibles and the same benefits apply.
It used to be that coloring books were just for kids and now, all you have to do is visit Hobby Lobby or Amazon to find adult coloring books galore! This trend started in 2012 and 2013 as the adult coloring books were published for the first time.
There are psychologists and therapists who see the advantage of coloring in their counseling sessions.
They say that coloring has:
- Therapeutic potential
- Reduces anxiety
- Allows the brain to switch off other thoughts and increase focus
Why Adult Coloring is Good for You
Coloring is good for you even if you are coloring in the lines of designs and pictures.
You bring coloring to the next level when you draw about spiritual passages in your Bible, Bible art journaling notebook, or a book like “The Psalms in Color” Inspirational Adult Coloring Book.
When you decide to take time to color, you will also have to choose to lay aside other responsibilities while you draw.
- You will increase focus on the passage you select.
- You will have mindfulness for the Holy Spirit’s presence.
- You will find yourself switching off your brain from other thoughts as you focus on the moment (with the Lord).
- Anxiety will lessen as you focus mindfully on Jesus (lay your burden down).
- You will be more relaxed as you rest in God.
- Your problems and conflicts with those around you will diminish while you are in God’s presence with your opened Bible.
- Ask the Holy Spirit to nudge you and show you where YOU can change and what YOU can DO for each relationship that is hard to deal with . . . instead of thinking about how the OTHER person needs to do all the changing.
Why take the time to color?
Maybe it’s because you love it.
Then there is a chance that you don’t feel you even know how to color. If that is the case, you really don’t have to create your own pictures and designs to color.
There are Bibles that you can color in the lines or books about Psalms or that have Bible verses that you can color in the lines.
Either way, you will find how good adult coloring is for you!
Bible Verses that are Good for You While Coloring
The Bible doesn’t directly talk about how good coloring is when you are an adult.
But . . .
God is our Creator and He loves when we express our creativity in worship to Him.
I know you will find rest in Jesus as you learn to focus on Him while you are coloring (painting or creating about your Quiet Time).
Draw near to God and He will draw near to you. Cleanse your hands, you sinners; and purify your hearts, you double-minded. (James 4:8)
You alone are the Lord;
You have made heaven,
The heaven of heavens, with all their host,
The earth and everything on it,
The seas and all that is in them,
And You preserve them all.
The host of heaven worships You. (Nehemiah 9:6)
For all those things My hand has made,
And all those things exist,”
Says the Lord.
“But on this one will I look:
On him who is poor and of a contrite spirit,
And who trembles at My word. (Isaiah 66:2)
These verses show that God is our Creator and that we are to humbly worship Him.
We are sinners but He wants more than anything to forgive us and give grace so that we can become overcomers over the anxieties that trouble our lives.
There are many more verses that you could focus on while you are coloring. What verse(s) can you add to the ones I have shared?