Do you have your coffee and your Bible ready? Have you been reading along as we work through this study?
Today we are looking at Psalm 27:1-14. If you are up at the crack of dawn with littles after being up during the night, read it aloud to them and you will get it too!
This is one of my favorite Psalms!!
David is the writer of this Psalm and he is absolutely exuberant as he declares his faith in the LORD.
There are several references to the wicked coming against us in this Psalm. Enemies being all around, and adversaries that we need to be delivered from.
There is always an antagonist in our life.
Satan is always coming against us to distract us from the wonderful things that God is doing.
That is why we can feel like we are going to faint!!
You Won’t Faint When You See God’s Goodness
We are offered so much comfort and strength in these fourteen short verses. All the verses are leading up to the last two where we learn how we won’t faint.
We won’t faint when we see the goodness of the LORD. The first twelve verses share attributes that help us experience God’s goodness. So by the time we get to verse 13, we have a good understanding of God’s goodness.
12 Ways that We Experience God’s Goodness
When we focus on the goodness of the LORD, whom shall we fear?
When we take our focus off of God and get it on our problems, we naturally become consumed with fear and anxiety.
- God is Light – The LORD is my light and my salvation. (Psalm 27:1)
- God is Strength – The LORD is the Strength of my life. (Psalm 27:1)
- No Fear is in God – My heart shall not fear. (Psalm 27:3)
- God is Our Confidence – In this I will be confident. (Psalm 27:3)
- God is Beauty – To behold (look at) the beauty of the LORD. (Psalm 27:4)
- God will Hide Me – He shall hide me in His pavilion. (Psalm 27:5)
- Secret Place with God – In the Secret Place of His tabernacle. (Psalm 27:5)
- God is my High Rock – He shall set me high upon a Rock. (Psalm 27:5)
- Give Sacrifices of Joy – Therefore I will offer sacrifices of joy in His tabernacle; (Psalm 27:6)
- God is Mercy – Have mercy also upon me, and answer me. (Psalm 27:7)
- Seek God’s Face – When You said, “Seek My face,” My heart said to You, “Your face, Lord, I will seek.” (Psalm 27:8)
- God will Not Forsake – Do not leave me nor forsake me. (Psalm 27:9)
3 Things God Will Do so You Won’t Faint
God doesn’t leave us hanging but shows us how He will teach, lead and deliver you from all your enemies.
David faced actual enemies which he battled against his whole life.
We have actual enemies that cause the breakup of relationships, financial stress, health issues, and many things that leave us stressed to the max!
God doesn’t want us to stay in that spot but wants to equip you and me to rely on His strength as we move from weariness to strength in Jesus Christ.
- Teach me – Teach me Your way, O Lord, (Psalm 27:11)
- Lead me – And lead me in a smooth path, because of my enemies. (Psalm 27:11)
- Deliver me – Do not deliver me to the will of my adversaries; (Psalm 27:12)
This chapter is so encouraging when you are going through deep waters in your life.
I love how this chapter ends with such encouragement.
These are two of my favorite verses that I am sharing with you from the King James Version because I love how the word faint is used. It expresses exactly how I have felt when I get my focus off Jesus!!
I had fainted, unless I had believed to see the goodness of the LORD in the land of the living. Wait on the LORD: be of good courage, and he shall strengthen thine heart: wait, I say, on the LORD. Psalms 27:13-14
Have you ever felt like fainting as you journey through life? What other ways have you experienced the goodness of God?